We are Arizona’s leading Aquifer Protection Permit (APP) experts.
M&A offers specialized regulatory expertise to help Arizona mining and industrial clients navigate the APP process. In addition to a highly qualified group of hydrogeologists and modelers, our team includes Carrolette Winstead, former APP Manager of ADEQ’s Mining and Industrial Unit, and Michele Robertson, former ADEQ Groundwater Section Manager. Michele and Carrolette bring an unrivaled degree of expertise to this process, often saving clients significant amounts of time and money.
M&A offers a range of services for those seeking Individual, General, and Drywell APPs. We also prepare Closure and Determination of Applicability (DOA) Applications.
M&A’s APP team can…
- Develop an administrative permitting strategy that will help you avoid delays
- Prepare a technically complete application
- Evaluate your Best Available Demonstrated Control Technology (BADCT) approach (New Facility / Existing Facility)
- Identify the Point of Compliance (POC)
- Determine applicable numeric and narrative Aquifer Water Quality Standards (AWQS)
- Calculate applicable Aquifer Quality Limits (AQLs) and Alert Levels (ALs)
- Conduct hydrogeologic and ore / waste rock / other characterizations
- Develop hydrologic models that predict the impacts of your operations
- Prepare Contingency & Emergency Response Plans, Quality Assurance Project Plans (QAPPs), Best Management Practices Plans (BMPPs), and Sampling & Analysis Plans (SAPs)
- Avoid common pitfalls in responding to ADEQ deficiency letters that extend permit processing time and elevate costs
Our APP team has the experience and knowledge to…
- Develop Corrective Action Plans and provide support for Notices of Violation and Opportunity to Correct letters
- Conduct 5-Year Reviews and ongoing demonstrations / characterizations
- Demonstrate passive containment for mine pits
- Address reporting requirements and prepare Self-Monitoring Report Forms (SMRFs)
- Provide expert witness and legal support
M&A has one of the largest, most experienced Hydrologic Modeling groups in the Southwest. Our team has developed groundwater flow models to support many APP investigations.